Friday, March 21, 2008

A Little WIGGLE Room

E's been enamored with THE WIGGLES for a very long time. I can say that I've had a touch-and-go relationship with them. I love that the group formed out of a school project for 3 of it's members, that the majority of it's band are married with children who've performed with them, and their songs really aren't too annoying. My trepidations came about a year ago when all E could talk about was Captain Feathersword ("Taptin"), the groups bumbling friendly pirate friend. He turned into her imaginary friend for a while, and she would squeal with delight whenever he made an appearance on the one DVD we owned. Shortly after her 2nd birthday party she decided that she would like to have a pirate birthday party for her 3rd, and the skull and crossbones symbol has never been daunting for her, in fact she drawn to it. She loves pirates.

Her love affair with the Aussie group paled a bit when we solemnly informed her that the lead singer Greg (The charming yellow shirt wearing Wiggle) had become ill, and would be leaving the group. I must admit, the news was disheartening for me as well. When I brought home the newest DVD from the library a few months back (with Sam, the new yellow shirt wearer), E was horrified just looking at the cover. It sat on our shelf for the entire 3 weeks. Every now and then she'd hold it up to me and forcefully repeat "I'm not watching this."

So, The Wiggles, it seemed had their run. I thought maybe they'd just fade into the background of E's first few years. But then D happened to drive past the scrolling read-a-board outside the Tacoma Dome: Wiggles! I'd always vowed that if they came within the 3 State radius we'd go, but their travels always seemed to be on the East Coast. We were able to secure tickets, and my excitement was bubbling! We decided to wait a bit to tell her, and internally I was a little concerned about how she'd react, knowing how determined she was about maintaining her memory of the original group. I decided to re-rent the video from the library again, and see how she felt. It sat on our shelf again collecting dust for a week, and then I decided enough was enough. After bath a few nights ago, as she was stepping into her PJ's I informed her that I wanted to watch the new Wiggles video, and she could join me if she wanted. She stalled in her room, then hesitantly poked her head into the hall and called, "Did you start it yet?"
"Nope, I'm waiting for you." I casually responded. She slinked down the hall and I pushed PLAY. D and I sat on the couch in front of the TV and she slowly entered the room, and then she stopped. She stood off to the side of the TV for the fist 3 or 4 songs just listening! Afraid that they could somehow see her! She'd peek every now and then, and finally the dancing bug bit and she was hooked. Whew! Every now and then she'd catch my eye, maybe expecting to see that "I told you so," look, so I worked hard to keep my grin wide; bopping to the new songs with her. Afterward she agreed that it was really nice of Sam to help out Greg because he was too sick to sing anymore.

We've now had a few days to learn the new songs, and the show is tonight. We thought we'd just surprise her with the news, and just show up at the concert but last night we sprung it on her at dinner. She didn't freak out, just smiled and said "Sounds good." So we'll see. She's dressed in a nautical shirt for her beloved Captain, and she asked to watch the DVD one more time this morning before we drive to Tacoma so she can remember the words. I think she's gonna have the best time, I hope they allow camera's I really want to grab a shot of her face as those guys enter the stage! It's going to knock her socks off!

3 comments:

  1. We took the boys when we lived there and the Dome is a good place to see them...very family friendly. If you have a chance to see this before you go, make a sign with your favorite song--they take a few minutes during the show to read out the signs--it's very cute. You can also bring roses for Dorothy and the Wiggles will come around to collect them.

    I could go on, but I won't. Suffice it to say that the put on a pretty decent show, and even throw in some fun for the adults.

    Can't wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. David thinks that the Wiggles are either gay or evangelical Christians. Hope you can stomach the show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. look what are kids turn us into. sappy sappy messes! ask you or dave if you'd be caught at a wiggles show 4 years ago and you woulda scoffed! but you are right. it is to see the joy on their little faces, and E is lucky to have parents like you, willing to do these sort of things for her.

    ReplyDelete