We received one of these for our wedding. The combination of Tania's recent post (using those wedding presents of old) and remembering how much Jen loved hers, challenged me to find ours that was somewhere in my parent's basement and put it to use! Now that an entire batch of pancakes will easily feed the 3 of us, I was looking for a speedier way to get from the kitchen to the table and eat with the rest of the brood.
Here's the recipe I use weekly (from the cookbook) my variation in purple.
- 2 c. all-purpose flour (or 1 1/2 c. flour and 1/2 c. flax seed meal)
- 2 Tbs Sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 3 Tbs unsalted butter
- 2 c. buttermilk
- Melt butter, set aside to cool
- Sift all dry ingredients in large bowl
- Add egg to cooled melted butter
- Add egg/butter to buttermilk, whisk
- Add buttermilk mixture to dry ingredients and whisk gently, a few lumps should remain - don't over overmix
- Make pancakes!
- Freeze leftover cooked pancakes to toast up later