Monday, November 19, 2007

The Grinch That Stole...PUMPKINS?!!!

Alright! Enough of this!

I've been good. I, along with my 3-year-old-Christmas-clone have been bidding our time. Patiently. We've watched our quaint little downtown quietly transform into a winter wonderland. We drove past the cherry picker holding men in woollen caps and rain slickers gently trimming the town tree with bobbles and globes. We've pressed our noses against storefront windows that've been dusted with fake snow and miniature ice skaters. And we giggled with delight upon discovering the lamp posts adorned with twinkly lights.

Not yet.

Our neighbors this weekend started stringing lights on their roofs, and posting plastic snowmen on their lawns.

Can't.

The malls have decked their halls, and wintry melodies lightly play in elevators.

We'll wait until Friday.

This was my sentiment, until this evening at approximately 7:47 when we arrived home from having dinner with my parents. Someone had stolen our pumpkins from our front porch! And they weren't tiny! In fact we paid pretty good money for them! They were kind of the last bit of Harvest that I was holding onto without letting myself tear into the boxes of Christmas decorations from the garage! And now, you know what? Bring on the boxes! I know it's pathetic, and there are far greater things that could consume my brain, but I've wanted to decorate for weeks, and have held strong. It's been cold, dark and rainy. D was on a 3 1/2 week absence. I could have used a little holiday cheer. It was all I could do to keep from queuing up the iPod with all my Christmas albums. But this, this broke my will.

You take my pumpkins, I deck my halls!

3 comments:

  1. oh, man! you had me laughing out loud with that last sentence!! :)

    bring on the decorations!

    thanks so much for the nice long chat last night. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last sentence made me crack up too! I can't wait to deck MY Halls, I have lots of Christmas cds on order at the library and I'm thisclose to making Royal Tenenbaums-esque drawings about my xmas decor. I can't believe they stole your pumpkins, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the funny thing is they stole them now??? and not at halloween? they just HAD to steal a somewhat mushy and maybe moldy pumpkin and lug it to a firehydrant? unbelievable.
    but, yes, you make me laugh too.
    deck your halls, it is a wonderful time of year...

    ReplyDelete