Friday, November 16, 2007

Bright Idea...

Most of you know that I am always looking for ways to save $. One way that I have been doing this is Costco. Between them and Trader Joe's (another way I cheaply stock our shelves at home) I get 98% of my shopping done.

I happened to be cruising down the 'light bulb' aisle at Costco today and spied the compact fluorescent light bulbs. Now, I used to work for a rather high end lighting store, and I really do notice the types (incandescent, fluorescent, or halogen) of light in homes and stores. I've been avoiding these energy efficient bulbs because of their traditional buzzing, the abnormal pinkish or bluish light they produce, and the anticlimactic lag between flipping the switch and illumination leaves a lot to be desired. But, what's this?

INSTANT REBATE?

$10.00 off instantly of a $13.99 10-pack of 60W bulbs?

WHAT IS THAT?

$3.99 FOR THE ENTIRE BOX, .40 EACH!!!!

CA-CHING!

I bought 2 boxes, and have started replacing the bulbs to our most frequently used lamps and fixtures. The type of light still isn't my favorite, but I'm hoping the type of electricity bill will be.

PS Somehow they've virtually eliminated the buzzing sound!

4 comments:

  1. Not sure how long they are offering this, and if it's available in every State.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmm... i might have to check this out. i have replaced some of our bulbs with the energy efficient ones (and i don't notice a buzzing either), but i would like to do more. thanks for the tip. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. we changed all our bulbs to CFL a few months ago. we compared the three month electric usage to the same three months last year. our electric usage was cut by over 40%. amazing! we have yet to have one burn out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. since i just gave up lurking your blog occasionally and added you to my bookmarks, i've been catching up on your life....funny, i used to work in retail lighting as well, in kansas city. it's not often you run across someone who has had that experience!

    ReplyDelete