Thursday, May 3, 2007

She's No Sleeping Beauty

So when E arrived Dave and I decided that we wouldn't be the type of family that had the "Family Bed." No judgments on those that do, it works for a lot of families. I just knew I valued my sleep far too much to add a little whimpering bundle to the mix, and I wanted to eliminate any future sleep issues that come along with transferring toddlers into their own bed in their own room. This all holds true today, I am glad that we did what we did, E has had very few sleep issues, was sleeping 8-10 hour stretches at 7 months. And she's a great sleeper still, the kid sleeps well in hotels, friend's houses, and airplanes.

But, when Dave is out of town and the house is making noises I swear aren't there when he's around, I selfishly want her warm little body next to mine. I've tried this a few times. She jumps at the chance to have a slumber party with Mama. We read books, sing songs, the same whole routine. Then I turn out the lights, tell her I love her and that I'll be in after I clean up. If she lasts 20 minutes I'm lucky. Usually she's ducking into the office where I'm catching up on e-mails asking for water or to use the potty. She can't hardly relax. If on the off chance she does nod off, I am plagued with kicking feet, mumbling, and sideways sleeping. By about 2am I scoop her up, lumber into her room, pull her covers up around her, and fling myself into bed alone, and relieved. I wake up sleep deprived of course, so determined that I won't ever do it again, and searching for the nearest coffee mug. I usually end up napping on these afternoons, barely able to hold my eyes open, repeating over and over "What was I thinking, what was I thinking?" But then the sun sets and the house settling gets my mind racing again and there's no other comfort I can think of, and we begin the ridiculous game all over again.

Maybe we need a dog?

No comments:

Post a Comment