Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Rachel's Granola

When I was in the hospital after delivering E, I had a great number of visitors. Among them was my friend Rachel. I have to admit I don't remember much about the actual visit, (labor takes a bit out of you) but loved the gift she left with us. A glass Mason Jar filled with homemade granola. Upon our arrival back home, I easily polished off the entire jar in a few days. It was the perfect food, and soon afterwards I got the craving again and requested the recipe. It's been years since I'd thought about it again, but with this cold and crazy weather we seem to be hanging onto, it came to mind.

Rachel's Granola
  • 3 cups uncooked oats
  • 1/4 cup wheat germ (I used flax meal)
  • 1 cup pecans lightly chopped
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup honey
  • 1/3 cup butter
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 cup dried cranberries or other yummy dried fruit
  • 1 cup grapenuts (can be omitted)
  1. Preheat oven to 325
  2. In large mixing bowl combine oats, pecans, wheat germ (or flax meal) and cinnamon
  3. In saucepan combine: butter, honey, vanilla and brown sugar and heat until melted, then pour over oat mixture and mix well
  4. Pour out into lightly greased glass 9x13 pan and bake for 20-25 minutes, stirring halfway through
  5. After cooking, stir in cranberries and grapenuts
  6. Cool and enjoy, and store in airtight container
* It's outstanding mixed with a good dollop of Trader Joe's Organic Lowfat Vanilla Yogurt.

* Now, I've named this Rachel's Granola, but after speaking with her earlier this afternoon to obtain publishing permissions she seems to recall that the owner is actually that of a friend's mother...either way, Y-U-M.

4 comments:

  1. don't you love how recipes get around? i label my recipes with names, too, reminding me of where i first had something, like "ann-krestene's wassail"!!
    i haven't made that granola in quite awhile either; i received a batch of it from danajill awhile back, of which she received a batch from her mom...
    you got me itching to make it again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum! i love granola! i want to give this a try. thanks, ladies :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i call this one rachel's granola too and LOOOOVE it. i've been hooked on the granola w/ greek yogurt (the fage stuff is so stinking good...dessert, really!) mmmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hihi. i just wanted to thank you for the recipe. made it the past weekend (i bookmarked the recipe to make on a rainy day) and my husband and i thoroughly enjoyed it. grape nuts and all! :)

    ReplyDelete