Thursday, September 20, 2007

When life hands you lemons, buy a fish tank.

I had been looking forward to tonight for a week, at least. Girls Night Out. They don't happen very often, and I really needed it. With 2 1/2 weeks of single parentdom under my belt I was really craving some alone time with fiends. My parents agreed to watch the kiddo, I could already taste the guacamole...

Somewhere between packing Ella's pajamas and her Little Einstein video I forgot to grab my purse. Doesn't this happen all too often? You remember everything for your child and neglect yourself; their needs ahead of your own, I suppose? I didn't realize this until I was minutes from our agreed upon destination, as I was reaching for my lip gloss...no purse. I had no money for dinner, and I was driving illegally. Flustered and totally knocked off my feet, I turned around. I blubbered the whole way home. It wasn't an option to swing back by and grab it and just be late for the meal, I live a ways out of town and it was rush-hour. I was so upset with myself, so sadly disappointed. I reached my parents house, gathered up E, and made our way home.

Blocks away from our door E mentioned something about a fish, and it hit me! I fish tank! Our next door neighbor Mike asked if he could get E a fish for her birthday, and we needed to pick out a tank. I swung by the house grabbed my wallet, and we were off to Pet Smart. As much as I hate to admit it, shopping makes me feel better. It didn't solve my original problem, but I felt better having set out with a purpose and completing my task.

Now we just have to think of a name for her imminent gift...

No comments:

Post a Comment