Friday, September 14, 2007

Phase 1

I've ranted about our pipes backing up in previous posts. Well, my brother and his new wife are moving into the downstairs mother-in-law apartment at our house in a few weeks, and the stipulation I gave was 'No extra bodies until the pipes are fixed.' Anytime we have a party, or when we have guests stay the pipes get clogged, the downstairs toilet and tub overflow with sewage. It's a mess. We're on a first name basis with Rotor Rooter.

My brother got a hold of me a few weeks ago, and was calling in a favor from a friend. They scoped our pipes with a tiny camera all the way out to the street (I got to watch, totally fascinating and not gross like I expected). Luckily the problem was close to the house and not by the street where the pipe is deeper (water runs downhill from your residence). Apparently due to earthquake damage, the pipes are all jogged up and on top of that roots are squirming their way in and catching debris and, there in lies the problem.

So yesterday my brother cut up a 20 foot by 4 foot section of our 6" thick cement patio in the backyard with this crazy water saw. And today they started digging the 3 foot deep trench with an excavator. It's a slow and noisy process, and I'm really hoping they get it done tomorrow...but also extremely grateful I have family that know how to do this stuff. If I had to hire my brother's friend to do that scope thing, it alone runs somewhere in the neighborhood of $600-800!

(E and Uncle B on the excavator)

3 comments:

  1. good luck with that job! you will be so glad when it is done! (did you end up having another pipe problem after my family visited?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are indeed lucky to have family to help you out in these situations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh man! we had that very same problem in our last house. We too had a camera snaked through the pipe and found roots growing in the line. It is fascinating to see down the pipe isn't it?

    I am glad it is all getting taken care of.

    And yes! you sure are a lucky girl to have family that knows how to do it! That's a job in a half!

    ReplyDelete