Sunday, September 16, 2007

Good-bye Summer

Today marks my official "Put Summer Clothes Away," day, although, the Autumnal Equinox isn't for another week. The forecast isn't predicting temperatures to reach above the 60's, so Fall has arrived early, here in the Greater Seattle Area. I mournfully folded up all E's 2T summertime wardrobe and hesitantly pulled out the 3T bin full of hand-me-down (thanks Jen, Nicole Melissa and Laurie) long sleeve T's, jackets, jeans, and shoes for the coming months (and months) of rainy chilly weather.

It's depressing to fully realize that these days will only become shorter, and that the damp gray hours have replaced cheery sunny ones. I suppose that's one reason why Christmas is so important to me; we get to shed a little bit of twinkly light into the long dark nights of winter. But for now I'll relish the occasional sun-break, pull out the flannel sheets, take in the colors of the changing leaves, cozy up in front of our new wood burning stove (thanks Mom, Dad, Trey, Tim, and Bennett) and yes, caffeinate my down-turned mouth with hot mugs of coffee and wassail.

2 comments:

  1. yeah! it always takes me by surprise how quickly summer ends and turns into fall. i made a pumpkin pie the other night, and that helped ease us into autumn :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, i hear ya, sister!
    i took out my rainboots yesterday, for francis' soccer game, in the rain, and thought: here we go again. you know, fall used to be my favorite season (growing up on the east coast, the changing of the leaves is so spectacular!) but i have a hard time keeping my chin up here in the seattle gray...

    ReplyDelete