Thursday, July 17, 2008

Blueberry Picking


After her last swim lesson this session we headed over to a Bellevue blueberry farm, and grabbed up our Many's on the way. Jen and I chatted about books, friends, and family while we picked through the bushes with August's help, and the girls mostly played. It was nice to be together again.

As we traipsed through the fields I was in constant internal conversation with myself; "There are snakes here," "You'll see a snake." In the end it really did no good as the first sighting of a long black garter with yellow stripes sunning itself among the bushes left my heart racing and the kids covering their ears with all my shrieking.

The bushes weren't super full with ripe berries (perhaps we were a little too early?), but after the hour in the fields we had collected a pint or so; enough for pancakes in the morning, or perhaps some muffins. And I snagged some Walla Walla onions, rhubarb, garlic, and ears of corn from their store.

5 comments:

  1. What a fun day. Enjoy the blueberry pancakes

    ReplyDelete
  2. it was nice hanging with you...i hope i have enough berries left to make something in the morning...between the kids and trey they seem to be quickly disappearing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. jen, my mom mentioned that the month of august is usually blueberry month in our neck of the woods...so maybe we'll try again in a few weeks. guess i was just fooled by all the berries piled high in the markets already...and yes it was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh good, i have a blueberry bush that I just bought and it's not ripe yet...at least I have a couple of weeks to worry about it's growth being stunted by re-potting!

    and I'm so glad you found some rhubarb..i am hoping to make pie next week but didn't see any at the store and thought it might be out of season.

    you've really seemed to save my "fruit" life with this post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh, that looks like a really afternoon together. we miss you guys soooo much! wish we could have joined you all xoxoxo.

    ReplyDelete