Wednesday, July 11, 2007

H2O (a running theme)

It was record-breaking hot today in Seattle, 97. I just checked and it's 83.4 right now inside our house (yes, at quarter to 10pm). It makes me want to curl up on the floor in our garage. We have every window open, fans ablazing, it took El an hour and a half to fall asleep. She actually at one point got out of bed, made her way downstairs to slip her shoes on (all under Dave's radar as he was in the office on the computer), opened the front door to come and find me in the backyard (only wearing underwear and Croc's...her, not me) where I was watering the plants. She snuck up behind me and blurted out, "I'm done sleeping, I want to wake up and be with you out here." We're feeling it, us Northwesterners aren't cut out for this. I had her wadding pool filled, the sprinkler on, and she was slurping a popcicle by 9:30 this morning! Listen to me, it's one day, and I'm at my wits end! The only sane part of my day was getting into the pool with El for her lesson.

I need help remembering to drink water on these days (I can spend all day out in the yard tending to my flora and fauna, or shoving water cups in El's face, but for me, no), my fingers and ankles swell up, it's pathetic. At any rate, I was told long ago a good formula for how much water each of us should drink on an average day (obviously more on days like today).

Take your weight, say it's 100 (don't we wish)
Then divide in half, 50
That's how many fluid ounces of water a 100 pound person should intake each day (coffee, tea don't count, and soda further dehydrates you for heavens sake!).

Bottom's Up! And fingers crossed it's cooler tomorrow!

3 comments:

  1. i feel for you! it has gotten that hot here too at points this summer. i can't complain too much, b/c we have central air in the house. if you can, find someone with a pool and stay in it... it is the only way we stay cool (that, or wading in the ocean water). or maybe resort to walking around an air conditioned mall. i forget to drink water too and i get so grouchy. it can take me that long to realize, oh, right, i am dehydrated! hope today is cooler!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the 90 some degree weather followed Jen there from LA. It has finally cooled off here. Thank God!!! Hope is cools down soon for ya! ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. and now the heat wave is over...i think it was over by 4am the next day...i know this of course because i was taking tank out to pee and was very happily surprised by the cool air...heat wave, schmeat wave!

    ReplyDelete