Monday, July 16, 2007

CPR

Just a little reminder for those/us with children. Re-familiarize yourself with your CPR and Child Safety training, and if you haven't taken anything I would recommend it.

Today while I was at the Green Lake wadding pool with another mom friend of mine and her two girls (2 yrs and 11 mos) her youngest started choking on a small piece of watermelon. Lisa (mom) panicked and froze, screaming for me to help poor Kate who was quickly turning purple and clearly panicked herself. I jumped up, scanned my brain for the correct positioning for an infant and was able to dislodge the food. Scary stuff you guys, and it could easily happen to any one of us. Especially with this summery weather it's easy for us to get distracted and I think we get lax about having our kids sit while they're eating. Take the time/spend the money to take a class, it saves lives. I haven't taken a class in 5 years or so, but this stuff sticks with you.

The Red Cross offers classes all over the US, and you can get certified in one day, usually they offer evening classes too.

2 comments:

  1. oh, wow. that is so scary. thank goodness you remembered what to do! oh, man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i always freeze with panic when it's my own kids...kat has had to attend to august during an emergency situation before...i'm good if it's someone else's child though...

    ReplyDelete