Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Medical Update

For those that are interested in my latest phase of my ongoing throat issues (I call it that because it has yet to be determined exactly what the problem is) news is hopeful. I met with my endocrinologist about a week ago and he's stumped. My MRI showed nothing of concern (no tumors cancerous or otherwise, no ulcers, no nothing. Very good news (deep breath). However after reviewing by blood work from about 2 months ago it appeared that one of my numbers (I don't understand it all either, just go with it) seems just off from normal, indicating that my thyroid my be slightly inflamed in such a way that I feel like someone is choking me (it's the feeling of having that lump in the back of your throat when you're trying not to cry...all the time). So I'm now on a trial low dose of hypothyroid medication for 6 weeks in hopes that will be the end of it. Well not the end of it, because people on thyroid medication are destined to remain on it for the rest of their lives, yes, a pill every morning for the next 40-50 years. What is that...14,600-18,250 pills? Pharmaceutical stock anyone? Anyhow, I'll keep you posted. Hopefully the pills will help, or I'll be fated to have someone shove a camera down my throat, lovely.

8 comments:

  1. Ann-Krestene, I am so thankful and relieved to hear your medical update news. Most thyroid problems are controllable and the daily pills will make your life more comfortable. You and your family are in my thoughts - keep well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i was just going to look on your blog...you've been a bit quiet lately.
    how're you doing on the pill so far? noticed any change?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for all your support you guys, just taking it a day at a time, and trying not to dwell on it (the weather helps).
    Much Love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hang in there, my friend. we'll pray that the pills are help a bunch. love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  5. daily pills next to your daily vitamins and you'll never know the difference. think of it this way, you also have to brush your teeth everyday! :) hee hee
    but here's hoping it solves the problem...

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, I hope these really help! ugh! what an awful feeling to live with in the back of your throat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. so glad to hear your mri results came back in the clear! i hope the pills are doing the job, you're noticing a difference and they're not too much of a hassle for you. you'll be in my thoughts ann.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really hope the medicine helps out, it sounds really uncomfortable. Try to relax; anxiety can make that feeling a lot worse.

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete