Sunday, May 31, 2009

Frozen Banana's

Now traditionally, I am not a banana fan. I avoid banana in smoothies, D eats any donated banana bread that makes it's way into our house, banana flavored candies and gum have always turned my stomach, I even had a hard time offering the mashed gooey fruit to E when we started her out on solids. But, um, I'm pregnant, and things change...I've fallen in l-o-v-e with chocolate covered frozen banana's!


Perhaps it has something to do with the utterly hilarious episodes of Arrested Development that have kept me endlessly entertained this pregnancy. Just as my habit of eating jars and jars of pimento filled green olives was informed by those martini making comic geniuses from M*A*S*H while I was pregnant with E.


They're cold and delicious and have been easy to find in the freezer section at Trader Joe's.


Although, upon doing the math ($1.99 for 4 in a box and I've been eating 1 or so per day), I decided I should try my hand at the frozen treats...so we're trying our first batch today!

Ingredients:
  • 6 ripe bananas (I did 3)
  • 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
Preparation:

Peel bananas; cut in half crosswise. Insert a wooden stick (I used reusable popsicle handles) into flat end of each banana half. Lay bananas on a shallow pan or baking sheet; freeze for about 3 hours, until very firm. Melt chocolate chips over hot water. With a spatula, quickly spread melted chocolate over each banana, coating well. Chocolate will become firm right away, refreeze again. Wrap each banana in foil; store in freezer (I just threw them in a ziplock).


p.s. ours turned out waaay better than the TJ's ones, much sweeter and better quality banana's!

3 comments:

  1. oh, yum!! those looks delicious, ann! gotta give that a try :) how are you feeling? still hanging in there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks delicious!

    also, if you don't mind them only frozen, and want one in a pinch, nutella on bananas is de-li-cous!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhhh I love Nutella - very good suggestion!

    ReplyDelete