Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The Incredible (In)edible Egg

I don't know how many of you enjoy a hard cooked egg, and furthermore how many of you have tried to hard cook an egg as of late, but it seems impossible! The shell seems glued to the innards, leaving you with a mangled mess. With the market flooded with organic, omega3 and cage free versions I wonder if maybe somewhere along the production line of the old 'standard' white eggs they were adding something to make shelling easier?
Well, anyhow I actually looked up the recipe for hard boiling eggs in several cookbooks, tried them all and settled somewhere in the middle. So, if you're cooking up real eggs for this Easter's hunt, or just looking forward to sitting down to a high protein lunch or breakfast; here's my tried (over and over) and true method for cooking those suckers up.

  • Place eggs in pan, cover with cool water, place on heating element and bring to a rolling boil
  • Once it reaches a boil add 1/4 tsp - 1/2 tsp of salt
  • Simmer for 12 minutes
  • Turn off heat and let stand for 1 minute 30 seconds
  • Remove eggs and place in an ice water bath to completely cool
  • Eat or Refrigerate

3 comments:

  1. this is great, thanks! i've needed a tried and true method. and the boys love them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's similar to my trick. I was basically raised on devilled eggs and my Mama Ruth (my grandma) swore by bringing them to a simmer in them pan, then turning off the heat just when it starts to boil and letting them cook for 10 minutes, then running them under cold water to stop the cooking. Then that's the best time to peel them smoothly, that way it's easier to get that little slippery skin just under the shell to peel off and not stab the egg and render it ugly. But sometimes it still happens and it makes me so mad! I always cook a couple extra in anticipation of screwups.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We were making hard boiled eggs last night and I remembered this post. We used your tried and true recipe and they turned out great! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete