Thursday, September 11, 2008

How Much is that Doggie in the Window?

So, we're in the market for a dog. Preferably a Labrador, and preferably a girl, and preferably one that's 1-2 years old and up for adoption (not too crazy about the puppy years, as cute as they are) . Both D and I had dogs growing up and, well, it's becoming apparent that my crazy-neurosis-while-D-tours is out-weighing my dog allergy. I think E would love it. She spent a good chunk of time while we were in Phoenix tromping around with Buster, a black Lab, and it was heartbreaking; in a good way. And strangely enough she seems more at ease with larger dogs, so we've been pondering the issue. We would have come back home with Buster's sister, but the expense driving her up was crazy and I refuse to start a relationship with: "Hi you're going to be our new pet! Now let me give you an injection, so your sedated in the belly of a very loud airplane. See ya on the other side!"

Jen found this great website for me to peruse and I spent the better part of the weekend and into this week searching for our new best friend. One handsome fellow caught my eye, Tibbs. He's a Yellow Lab-Mastiff mix and gorgeous, but was adopted by morning. Alright. My next search brought me to the adorable 9-11 month Chocolate Lab, Star. But she disappeared off the website (hopefully her family located her and brought her home). So I'm taking a break. I get attached so easily and I haven't even met them yet. Land sakes!

3 comments:

  1. this is very exciting! good luck with your doggie search!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i too have been looking at the Tibetan mastiff breed. i can imagine the mastiff-lab mix was adorable.

    good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. paws.org is also an excellent resource--and definitely local to you. that's where we got our dog. it was a great experience, they are extremely conscious and active about animal welfare, and we got a great dog.

    ReplyDelete