Friday, August 29, 2008

Certain Death for a Fruit Fly

If you're like me fruit flies weigh in on the not-so-great-part of summer. Enter the Fruit Fly Trap. My brother-in-law has perfected what I believe to be the most effective fruit fly elimination tool and I had to share it with you.


  • Start with any smallish glass container
  • Fill with about 1" of apple cider vinegar
  • Tightly seal with plastic wrap
  • Poke 1-3 smallish holes in the top (I use a ball point pen)
  • Set in high traffic area (near sink, potted plant, fruit bowl, etc.)


What happens is the little buggers are attracted to the scent, enter the hole, find their way down to the liquid and drown. It's beautiful. We recently returned home from our week in Phoenix only to find the fruit fly population overwhelming our small kitchen. I set out 2 traps and by this evening there were easily 50 of them sent to their vinegary grave.

*here are some other ideas....

2 comments:

  1. i've gotta try this... they are driving me crazy!! thanks for the tip!

    glad you had a nice trip :) let's catch up soon xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. hurrah. we also have set up a fly trap. but when i went to check on it this morning i was in shock. only one dead fly.

    what caught me off guard was the empty bottle of white wine from cooking the pervious day. (there was a few drops left in the bottom). i noticed a fly flying around the bottle and then about 10 more dead on the bottom. without trying hard, i succeeded in getting rid of our unwanted house guests. i just had to share.

    ReplyDelete