Saturday, October 20, 2007

Going Continental

I've caught the knitting bug again. This hobby seems easier to do when the weather is cool, and the evenings have taken on a lengthy, shall we say, appearance. After reading Tania's short post, I was inspired to try her recipe (a Jen-ism for pattern). I completed one glove and began to cast-off, when a question arose. Being late of hour and not wanting to disturb my trusty knitter side-kicks I perused this trusty online website. This very easy-to-use site could make a knitter out of anyone, and clear demonstrations have gotten me out of a pinch more times than this latest stall. I figured out my query and in no time was on to the next glove.

However, I was tempted to peruse the videos demonstrating 'Continental' knitting (or 'Picking'). Most US knitters use the 'English' (or 'Throwing') Method as it's apparently easiest to teach a beginner. The Continental style has always daunted me, but the site claimed it to be the fastest method and I'm all about that. And remember the old lady on the cartoon Sylvester & Tweety Bird? She just twirled her little animated needles and produced these long scarves...I'm not placing any stock in her animated abilities, I just want to give it a whirl and maybe by Christmas I can say I tried.

New goal.

2 comments:

  1. i've often wondered about that knitting method as well. and
    "granny" sure was a quick knitter :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. the IDEA of knitting sounds so fun, and you prove it with the wonderful goodies you create, but alas... i am completely useless at it...

    ReplyDelete