Thursday, October 22, 2009

A Day Off

E's been going strong this school year. We had one hiccup when she got sick right around her birthday. But aside from that she's been hitting the school thing hard; 8:40am to 3:10 everyday. We really try and use our weekends to relax. We get things done, but they're mostly for regrouping. This week E's school has parent/teacher conferences so no school today or tomorrow. It really surprised me how much I've been accustomed to having her gone for the bulk of the day, and I found myself dreading the hours. But we've kept busy and both kids happy. This morning we met a friend at Jump Planet and for $6 the kids bounced every last ounce of energy they walked in there with. Can I just say that off the cuff these places annoy me. A bunch of sweaty, mouthy & wound-up pre-teen kids with strawberry soda-stained faces literally bouncing and ramming off the walls and knocking smaller children over as they cut in line; not what I'd call a fun time. But this morning was great, I'd say there were maybe 15 people total (including parents) in this gi-normous warehouse space filled with those bouncy house/slides/obstacle courses. No lines, no kids there above the age of 6, and really clean. It afforded me and the other mom plenty of time to chat, and still easily follow our kiddos around (and N was continuously fascinated with all the movement and bright colors).

All of this to say E was exhausted when we got home. Coupled with the fact she's been fighting a bit of a runny nose today, she grabbed her pillow and cozy quilt and promptly snuggled up on the couch. I turned on Enya (hearken back the JCC days), and she was sawin' logs almost immediately while I got dinner prepared and caught up on the computer.

7 comments:

  1. Lots of jumping followed by cozy nap! Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness. I love this post Ann...I don't know what it is about it...finding a new place, being with a girlfriend, wearing a child out, the nap...it all sounds so good.
    Nicely done mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited to know about Jump Planet, David's on tour and I'm running out of ways to make them burn off energy! Darlin picture of E!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, the tour thing is upon us as well...3 1/2 weeks down, 2 to go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. p.s. if you get a punch card for j.p. the 6th time you go is free!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to know about the punch card!
    I'm holding up okay with him gone, save for a low point where I sent him some whiny text messages, but I got better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Remember when the boys would go on tour and they didn't have cell phones...or email? Trey and I were talking about that before he left for a quick trip the other day. We'd go days and days without a word...now we can email, video, call, text...so good.

    ReplyDelete