Saturday, July 24, 2010

One Potato, Two Potato, Three Potato...Twenty-Six


If you've ever grown potato's before, you know what I mean when I say 'it's so exciting'!  You guys, this by far is my favorite thing to grow in the garden!  All the other stuff has been great, really.  But because these little miracles are slowly growing underground, it was such a crazy surprise to unearth those beautiful yellow orbs this evening!  I had no idea.  A few of my plants were starting to yellow, and were getting really droopy, so I thought I would just grab my spade and see what was transpiring below the surface.  The very first tater I unearthed summoned a simultaneous squeal from both E and and me! It was as big as her fist and so clean and, well, amazing!  We dug up 1/3 of my plants in all and E insisted on gathering up all 26 Yukon Golds into the skirt of her dress (quite an awkward looking load) and N of course was waiting near by to taste test (more dirt in the mouth of course than potato...).

Next year you can definitely expect to whiteness me digging up even more of my lawn in the name of food!  I will easily double the amount of potato's we put in, I cannot believe we lived here for 4 1/2 years with me just mowing over that plot of land.   Without too much effort (ripping out grass aside) here I am putting food on the table, and into the bellies of my children.

I grew that!

2 comments: