Monday, April 13, 2009

Getting Right Down to It

We've decided on a home birth for our new little babe. E's birth was completely natural with no medical intervention at a small hospital, and I have nothing but wonderful memories of that experience. But as this pregnancy has progressed I really began searching out our options. I've done quite a bit of soul searching about this. There of course with any big decision (and let's face it this is the biggie; human life) are a lot of 'what if's' and I've really had to take time and digest them. I've been seeing the same set of midwives for this pregnancy (versus 2 OB's for E's, one in Poulsbo and one in Seattle), and we are totally convinced that it's the right choice for our family. There is such a difference in the type of care I've received this time around, I would recommend the experience to anyone. Midwifery is, I feel so much less invasive, but so much more whole person (and even family) centered. I was plagued with a severe case of postpartum depression 3 months following E's arrival, and had some real hurdles in breastfeeding her. I was quick to bring these concerns up at my first appointment, and was treated with such dignity and a "that's not going to happen this time, we'll be with you" attitude that I've felt nothing but taken care of and empowerment this entire pregnancy. I've had several friends that have also chosen to do home births, and after watching the riveting, The Business of Being Born I was without a doubt, this is what I want to do. I'm completely dedicated to going through the motions at home, I can clearly see it.



This is a really big deal; welcoming a new member of the family and we've been so proud of E's very thoughtful analysis of how much she'd like to participate. We have daily conversations about how my body is changing, how "Buddy" is growing, and some of the ways in which the dynamic at home is really going to change. She's attended (and helped at) every one of my appointments, we've enrolled her in a Sibling Prep Class taught by Penny Simkin later next month, she's really aware of what this process could be like.

Now that I'm 7 weeks out until my due date, things big and small are starting to happen around here. Today I received the box I ordered of medical supplies that we'll need here for the birth. Last week I sent in our reservation fee for our labor tub, and tonight I finished up painting the dresser drawers for the nursery. D's still 11 days away from returning home from his month and a half of touring, I've started swimming s...l...o...w laps again (to relieve my aching back), and recently was able to enroll E in a co-op preschool for the fall. Whew! All this and we still don't have a name for our little guy.

*Thanks to Tania for recommending The Business of Being Born

this is a great article

8 comments:

  1. oh, ann. i am so happy for you. you are going to be amazing, i just know it. this sounds like a great decision for you and your family, and will such be a wonderful bonding experience as you welcome your little buddy :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow...congratulations! that is wonderful! having 2 birth center babies, we've talked about IF there was a third we maybe would do it at home...so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so so wonderful. all my cheeriest thoughts are sent in your direction. and HOORAY for midwifery care! i am so happy for you all.

    -poppy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been really impressed with your thoughtful approach with this pregnancy. You guys are really coming at it with your eyes wide open. Can't wait to be a part of it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you ladies, it's a little daunting to put your deepest feelings about something so controversial out there, and so meaningful when the people that you love come alongside you in support and are rooting for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are having our first child in June and we're giving cloth diapers a try. I know that it's controversial with regards to whether it is a benefit ecologically and also with regards to whether it is truly a benefit financially. Is this something that you guys have looked into? If so, what have you found?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mike and Joni:

    As far as cloth diapers are concerned it's still a bit hazy for us as well. We started out using the Baby Diaper Service with E, and then discontinued because of all the traveling we do, it just didn't make sense.

    With this pregnancy we're still a tad undecided, although after the initial investment of buying your own cloth diapers and covers, going cloth seems great, as long as you can keep up on laundering them about every other day.

    Have you seen G diapers? If you have adequate plumbing (or a compost pile), this seems great too, and I think we'll probably use them on days while out and about so we don't have to lug around soiled diapers. But they're an investment as you need covers too (although some say you can use the G diaper covers for both cloth and the G flushable inserts...).

    Depending on how big/small your kiddo is upon arrival, cloth with the cover just may be too big at first so keeping a stash of disposables on hand may be a good idea (I really like the chlorine free ones). This is also true for nighttime diapering as they go longer stretches without being changed and it very well lead to a nasty case of diaper rash...

    You may want to look into a cloth diapering class (They offer one at http://www.birthandbeyond.com/ and it may help you decide the best route to take as there's now a huge verity in options, even compared to 4 1/2 years ago when we had E.

    Good Luck, and sorry for the rambling...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the info! We are so excited for this new chapter in our lives but it is also "uncharted territory" for us, so all the information is very helpful. We'll definitely check out the online classes. Thanks a ton!

    ReplyDelete